Instagram is a social networking platform owned by Facebook that allows individuals and businesses to express themselves visually; sort of like storytelling in the form of pictures!
Businesses are using Instagram to showcase their products and connect with their current and potential customers. The platform recently announced that they had gained over 300 million users, surpassing their older rival Twitter. Another study also found that 59% of the world’s top brands were now active on Instagram… so what are you waiting for?!
Prolific users of Instagram fall between the ages of 18-34 years. An intelligence study found that the app is mostly used by urban, youthful women.
However, if this isn’t particularly the audience you’re targeting, don’t be put off! We predict the popularity of Instagram can only increase, reaching other demographics and target markets eventually!
Most of us would rather look at pretty pictures in our spare time than trawl through text. And depending on your industry and product offering, Instagram could be the perfect way to reach your target audience.
Follow our simple tips below on how to use Instagram for business.
1. Connect your Instagram account to your Facebook account to maximize reach.
2. Use relevant hashtags (#) to join conversations and engage with others.
4. Make sure you follow followers back. This will strengthen and encourage relationships with your customers. .
5. Post multimedia that is relevant to your product or service offering, e.g Waitrose post lots of pics of their yummy foods!
6. Add locations to your photos when you post them; Instagram will then create a photo map of all your posts.
7. Reply to any comments you receive. Interacting is all part of the process! Customers are more likely to engage in future, if they feel like they matter.
8. Follow People! To kick off your business’ Instagram presence, you’ll want to follow some users. Find influencers in your industry, current customers, suppliers etc.
9. Track your performance and establish the metrics you want to measure. There are a number of Instagram analytic app that you can use, Iconsquare, Minter.io, or use Simply Measured’s free report tool.
10. And if you’re still struggling for ideas, look at other companies and their Instagram accounts! What do you like about their photos? How are they engaging with users? What makes their account so ‘followable’? Try and take inspiration from these companies and put your own spin on it!
Without an Instagram account, businesses risk being ignored or forgotten by the next generation of consumers. As an effective brand building tool, the platform can open up a world of opportunity for your brand!
If you need any more info on using Instagram for Business, take a look at their blog!