Online file storage is the most popular form of storage now rather than using offline devices. This blog gives you an overview of online storage and we give you some examples for you to use in the future.
What is online cloud file storage?
The cloud is a network of servers that allows you to store files online instead of using CDs and USBs. You can access it on your PC easily and view all the files that are stored online. If you have internet connection you can access your cloud storage from anywhere as it is all online.
Examples of Cloud storage
- Google Drive – 15GB Free Cloud storage
- Apple ICloud – 5GB Free Cloud storage
- Amazon Cloud Drive – 5GB Free Simple Storage Service and unlimited free image storage
- Dropbox – 2GB Free Cloud storage
All these examples are very popular Cloud Storage places. They all have a purpose to store and keep all the data safe rather than using offline devices.
Is the cloud safe and secure?
Some people are completely against the cloud and will not use it. This is because you do not own the cloud and you do not control it. People are more reluctant to use it as they see it as a vulnerable target for hackers. It is secure, but you need to take the relevant precautions in making sure that it is secure.
What can you do to make sure your Cloud data is safe?
- Your cloud storage is password protected, so ensure you use a complicated password (TIP: use a range of upper and lower case letters, numbers and special symbols).
- Don’t have an obvious password e.g. your name. A hacker can easily find out all your personal information so make it as less personal as possible
- Make sure you go with a top and trusted cloud storage provider
What are the benefits of having Cloud Storage?
- You can easily drag and drop your files in and out of the Cloud
- You can access your files from anywhere if you have internet connection
- It is cost effective for businesses
- If you lose your files on PC they can be restored from the Cloud
What are the disadvantages of Cloud Storage?
- Some Cloud storage providers have a specific allowance to how much you can put in
- If you have no internet, your files cannot be synced
- Accessing the file on other devices means you need to have to software downloaded