Old Kindles will be disconnected unless updated by 22/03/16
If you have an old Kindle in a drawer gathering dust, now is the time to get it out, charged and updated.
From tomorrow, any Kindle made prior to 2012 that hasn’t been recently updated, will no longer connect to the internet.
What does that mean? Well it means no more downloading books, no syncing, no connecting to the Kindle store, i.e. it will render your Kindle useless.
So if you do try and connect, you will get the message: “Your Kindle is unable to connect at this time. Please make sure you are within wireless range and try again. If the problem persists, please restart your Kindle from the Menu in Settings and try again.”
But do not despair, it’s easy to update.
Simply get your Kindle online asap and download the updates. If you have been using your Kindle regularly anyway and its been connected to Wi-Fi, then the chances are is that the download has already happened.
The Kindles this affects are every model prior to 2012:
- Kindle 1st Generation (2007)
- Kindle 2nd Generation (2009)
- Kindle DX 2nd Generation (2009)
- Kindle Keyboard 3rd Generation (2010)
- Kindle 4th Generation (2011)
- Kindle 5th Generation (2012)
- Kindle Touch 4th Generation (2011)
- Kindle Paperwhite 5th Generation (2012)
For more information, visit the Kindle Update web page.